Syllabus

Friday, March 10, 2017

reminder about the application of topoi in the results section

Remember, I'm not saying you should apply the topoi to every paragraph. Some paragraphs will be so contextualized in the research of someone else's study that they won't call for a topoi. However, the more paragraphs in the themed subsection, the more that subsection will call for a topoi--that is, for you to write the paragraphs, first, and then, second, ask: what was I trying to do with these three paragraphs? What was I trying to accomplish? How could I re-tool these three paragraphs so that an implicit order already in them would be made explicit? Was I really doing a


  • compare and contrast?
  • defining something?
  • dividing into parts?
  • talking about likelihood?
  • prevalence?
  • size or magnitude? 
  • appearance versus reality?
And so on. But I do want to emphasize that these are an afterthought. This level of attention to verbs and organization occurs later in a paper's revision stage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment